Kearney- Monday, students were forced to evacuate Kearney High School after smoke filled a classroom and an office.
Fortunately, the smoke was not caused by a fire. A heat pump overheated and sent a burning smell throughout the hallways of the school.
School officials decided to exercise caution and evacuate the building and called the Kearney Fire Department. Students waited for about one hour while officials inspected the area.
After fire officials cleared the building, students and the staff were let back inside.
Dr. Hay Dostal, a Kearney High School employee, said "As far as the circumstances, I'm glad that we got the kids out in a safe and orderly fashion. Once again, we're always going to err on the side of caution when it comes to emergencies like this."
No injuries were reported in the incident and the students were well prepared for a fire evacuation as just over a week ago they had performed a fire safety drill.