Life-saving technology gives firefighters an assist, as a Grand Island family escapes an afternoon house fire.
It appears to be an electrical fire. And firefighters say people would be surprised to learn that it's not always easy to tell if their house is on fire.
The fire was smoldering in the attic of a home across the street from Howard Elementary, on West Ninth Street.
Without a smoke detector, Fire Captain Ed Carlin said the family may not have been aware of the fire.
Carlin also said technology in the fire truck helped. Handheld cameras that can see hot spots aided firefighters who otherwise could have gone in blind.
"That's critical, "Carlin said, "Get right in there to the scene of the fire."
Firefighters used a chain saw to cut into the roof and vent the smoke.
Firefighters say situations like this can smolder and because of insulation, residents could be completely unaware. That's why smoke detectors are so important.
Everyone made it out safely in this case.
Firefighters had two other calls around the same time. And while winds diminished on Friday, the National Weather Service says fire danger remains high.