Damaged is being assessed after a fire broke out Wednesday in downtown Kearney.
The Kearney Fire Department responded to the call to 28th Street and Central Avenue Wednesday afternoon after one of the home's residents came home to find heavy smoke in the basement.
Officials say a hot item left on a mattress ignited the fire.
No one was in the building at the time and no injuries were reported.
The fire chief estimates the fire caused around $20,000 in structural damage and $10,000 in material damage.
The American Red Cross is providing assistance to six residents who lived in the building.