Overnight Fire Displaces Kearney Resident - KHGI-TV/KWNB-TV/KHGI-CD-Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings

Overnight Fire Displaces Kearney Resident

Posted: Updated:

Kearney Volunteer Fire Department responds to the area of 9th Avenue and 17th Street early Saturday morning for an overnight fire that displaced the resident of the Kearney home.

Fire officials say the fire was accidental, caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, which resulted in about $10,000 worth of combined property and structural damage.

The resident was home at the time but was able to get out, and the fire starved itself of oxygen before it could grow too big.

The smoke detector was not working when the fire broke out.

Fire officials remind everyone that October is fire prevention month, and to make sure their smoke detectors have working batteries to help save lives and property.

Facebook

Powered by WorldNow
General and news information or questions:
Across the Midlands Information:
events@nebraska.tv
Comments: comments@nebraska.tv
News:
news@nebraska.tv
Phone: 308-743-2494
News Fax: 308-743-2660
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and NTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.