1. Combine onion, garlic, candlenuts in a food processor or blender into smooth paste.
2. Heat cooking oil in a wok/pot. Add the spice paste, coriander, cumin, white pepper, star anises, galangal, cinnamon stick, kaffir lime leaves, and lemongrass. Cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add beef and stir well for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk/cream and tamarind water. Let cook until the broth start to thicken up, stir well, check the beef tenderness, add water 2 cups at a time and stir once and a while.
5. Let cook for 3-4 hours and add water every time the broth is thickening up and the beef is not yet tender. Keep stirring once and a while. Reduce heat.
6. After about 4 hours, keep stirring. Savory aroma starts to come out, let the broth thicken up until it's nearly dry and oily. Turn off the heat. Enjoy it with warm steamed rice and steamed vegetables.