Ord Volunteer Fire Department were called to two separate house fires within hours of each other.
Fire officials were first called out around 7 p.m. Friday.
They said the homeowner was welding when sparks ignited flammable fuel. He tried to put out the fire himself, stayed too long and sustained minor burns.
He was treated at Valley County Hospital and released.
The second call was from about 10 blocks away and came in around 11 a.m. Saturday.
Officials said it was caused by a chimney fire.
Mutual aide from Burwell and North Loup-Scotia were called due to fatigue from the earlier fire.
No injuries were reported in the second fire.
Officials said both homes were a total loss.
Community members are coordinating help for the fire victims on the Facebook page: Valley County Buy–Sell–Trade.