Fire Officials: Kearney Homeowner's Quick Reaction Prevented Mor - KHGI-TV/KWNB-TV/KHGI-CD-Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings

Fire Officials: Kearney Homeowner's Quick Reaction Prevented More Damage

Posted: Updated:

Kearney fire officials said the quick thinking of a homeowner kept a fire from spreading Sunday.

Kearney Volunteer Fire Assistant Chief Tacha said no one was at home when the fire started, but when a resident came home and smelled smoke, she opened the front door and quickly closed it.

Officials said that prevented more oxygen from spreading the fire.

Firefighters said it started in the downstairs bathroom and was caused by a short in the exhaust fan.

Fire crews contained the blaze in about 13 minutes, but damage totaled about $35,000.

Forty-one firefighters responded as well as the American Red Cross, who is offering assistance to the three residents.

No injuries were reported.

Facebook

Powered by WorldNow
General and news information or questions:
Across the Midlands Information:
events@nebraska.tv
Comments: comments@nebraska.tv
News:
news@nebraska.tv
Phone: 308-743-2494
News Fax: 308-743-2660
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and NTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.