Updated: Hastings College Student's Death Ruled Accidental
By Sara Kirkley, Weekend Anchor / Reporter - email
Hastings, NE -
The Howard County Sheriff says the death of a Hastings College student was accidental.
Tuesday, Sheriff Harold Schenck said 21-year-old Jackson Dinsdale died from "intentionally cutting off oxygen to his brain" to create a temporary high. It's commonly referred to as the choking game.
Schenck said Dinsdale was found by friends Saturday on private property owned by his parents, east of St. Paul.
"This was just an intentional event that turned into a very tragic accidental unattended death," he said.
Hastings College officials said Sunday, they have counselors on hand for students, faculty and staff after learning of the death of Dinsdale.
"The entire Hastings College family is saddened by the passing of Jackson Dinsdale. He was an active member of the Hastings College community, especially in the art department. We pray for comfort to his family and many friends," the college said in a statement.
Dinsdale made news last year when he made a donation to the Grand Island Police Department's K-9 unit.
He is the son of Grand Island business owners and philanthropists Tom and Kim Dinsdale.