FROM AN E-MAIL:
The Village of Eddyville founded in 1886 in the Wood River Valley, northern Dawson County, was originally named Congdon and was located several miles from the town's current site. Congdon moved later moved about a half mile west with the news of the Kearney & Black Hills Railroad and adopted the name Eddyville in the early 1890's. There are several ideas how the town got its name maybe: after Eddyville, IA; Miss Eddy of Christian Science fame or a young man named Eddy who fell to his death from a bridge while building the rail road.
Eddyville's last census count population 94 is a very community oriented little town. The trail riders club hosts an annual rodeo; this year was the 38th annual, and two trail rides per year thorough beautiful Buzzards Roost Canyon. The canyons scenery and history make for a great ride. In the early 1990's, Col. J B Colton owned over 5,000 acres north of Eddyville which he named Buzzards Roost Ranch. This ranch included several large canyons known now as Buzzards Roost canyon. The canyon is still inhabited by many Turkey Buzzards probably how the name originated. Old timers tell the story of bandits who buried their loot next to a tree in the canyon and left a brass wire sticking out of the ground. Some people report having seen the wire but didn't know at the time what it was and couldn't find it when they went back to look for it. As well as "Outlaw Cave" located in the canyon. The cave was supposed to be big enough to hide a large herd of horses. It has been rumored that Jesse James and gang used the Roost and cave as a hideout.
Another long standing annual event is the Eddyville Dinner Theater which is preparing for it's for its 26th performance which will be held the fourth weekend in March. The Dinner Theater started in 1981, featuring local talent, as a fund raiser for Grace United Methodist Church. The event still helps the church as well as the Eddyville Community Building (see brochure on community building).
The Cattleman's Steakhouse and Bar, the local café and steakhouse is another example of our community efforts. It is owned by an LLC named The 500 Club. Twenty on e community members each chipped in $500 to purchase the building and keep the doors open. The building is leased during the day by Lyle & Janella Clausen for breakfast and lunch and reopened in the evening as a bar & grill by the 500 club.
The Eddyville Rural Volunteer Fire Dept. applied for a FEMA grant and this past Feb. received a new First Response vehicle. The Dept. has been severely under funded and had older model trucks. This was a huge boost for the dept and the community.
Local businesses include:
Barbs Beauty Shop - in business for 38 years
Eddyville Credit Union - local bank
Eddyville Community Post Office - privately run
Eddyville Pit Stop - gas & hardware
Stryker Tractor Service - tractor sales & service
Busted Knuckle Garage - repair shop
Mill Iron West - hand braided horse equipment
Cattleman's Steakhouse and Bar
There are 2 churches in Eddyville:
Grace United Methodist Church - with regular services
St. Patrick's Catholic Church - no regular services, special services only
American Legion & Auxiliary
Eddyville Trail Riders
Buzzard Chicks Red Hat Society
United Methodist Women
Eddyville Volunteer Fire Dept.
Past times - great following of dirt track stock car racing featuring our own "Eddyville Flyer", Charles Stryker IMCA Modified driver.
Eddyville hosts a website for more information - www.eddyvillene.com