The following is a press release from UNMC:
Having raised more than $2.5 million for cancer research over the past 10 years, the Cattlemen's Ball has established itself as one of the premier fundraising events for the University of Nebraska Medical Center's Eppley Cancer Center.
This year, more than 3,000 people are expected to turn out June 6-7 when the ball comes to north central Nebraska to the Niewohner Cattle Company located nine miles northwest of Albion. Each year, the Cattlemen's Ball is held to showcase beef as part of a healthy diet and to raise money for cancer research.
"The ball is only about a week away, but there are still tickets available," said Ken Cowan, M.D., Ph.D., director of the UNMC Eppley Cancer Center. "I would encourage anybody who has never attended the Cattlemen's Ball to check it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised."
Top Hand tickets cost $65 and are available by contacting Wayne Boilesen at Cornerstone Bank in Albion. He can be reached by phone at 402-395-2151 or toll free at 800-933-3714 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
All the Trail Boss tickets at $300 per ticket have been sold out, Dr. Cowan said. "Normally, they only sell 600 Trail Boss tickets," he said. "This year, due to the high demand, they decided to sell 900 Trail Boss tickets.
It really demonstrates how the community is coming together to support the event. It's incredible."
The theme of this year's ball is "Bridge of Hope." The theme comes from a bridge across Beaver Creek that was built by the Niewohner family.
Headlining this year's ball will be a performance by Diamond Rio, one of the leading country bands in the United States. The six-man group features a bluegrass sound with bittersweet and edgy lyrics.
The group's first single, "Meet in the Middle," made it all the way to No.
1 on the country charts - making Diamond Rio the first country group in history to top the chart with a debut single.
The group has gone on to achieve gold or platinum sales with each of its studio albums, while racking up 13 Grammy nominations and 15 consecutive Country Music Association nominations for Vocal Group of the Year - more than any country group in CMA history. In addition, Diamond Rio has twice been honored by the Academy of Country Music and four times been named the CMA Vocal Group of the Year.
Two golf tournaments will kickoff the Cattlemen's Ball on June 6. They will be held at the Albion Country Club and the Pawnee Hills Golf Course in Fullerton, Neb.
In addition to the Diamond Rio concert, other activities on June 7 at the Niewohner Cattle Company include auctions, a casino, an art show, a style show, a wine tasting and a sit-down beef dinner.
"We've gone all around Nebraska for the Cattlemen's Ball," Dr. Cowan said.
"Each year, as new organizers take on the challenge, the ball always has its own unique feel. It's really a special event."
With the high number of tickets already sold, Dr. Cowan noted that this year's ball could be one of the best ones ever. He said that more than $1.6 million has been for raised for cancer research at the last three balls, representing more than 64 percent of the total cancer research money raised over the past 10 years.
All the money raised will stay in Nebraska with 90 percent of the proceeds going toward ground floor research projects at the UNMC Eppley Cancer Center. The remaining 10 percent will be directed to health care in the Albion area.
"We can't thank the people associated with the Cattlemen's Ball enough," he said. "It has become THE place to go for the first weekend in June."
Breakdown of money raised for cancer research at past Cattlemen's Balls
1998 - Ainsworth -- $95,000
1999 - Lexington -- $140,000
2000 - Ogallala -- $104,000
2001 - Valentine -- $133,000
2002 - Valparaiso -- $207,000
2003 - Ashland -- $33,000
2004 - Brady -- $174,000
2005 - Wisner -- $595,000
2006 - Milford -- $563,250
2007 - Lodgepole -- $480,000
Total - $2,524,250
UNMC is the only public health science center in the state. Its educational programs are responsible for training more health professionals practicing in Nebraska than any other institution. Through their commitment to education, research, patient care and outreach, UNMC and its hospital partner, The Nebraska Medical Center, have established themselves as one of the country's leading centers in cancer, transplantation biology, bioterrorism preparedness, neurodegenerative diseases, cardiovascular diseases, genetics, biomedical technology and ophthalmology. UNMC's research funding from external sources now exceeds $80 million annually and has resulted in the creation of more than 2,400 highly skilled jobs in the state. UNMC's physician practice group, UNMC Physicians, includes 513 physicians in 50 specialties and subspecialties who practice primarily in The Nebraska Medical Center. For more information, go to UNMC's Web site at www.unmc.edu.